About Me

My photo
We are a full service travel agency located in OK. We specialize in Sandals and Beaches Resorts, El Dorado Resorts, Azul Resorts, Destination Weddings, Mexico, Caribbean, South Pacific, Hawaii, and Cruises! Visit us at www.travelwithmichelle.com or e-mail info@travelwithmichelle.com

Saturday, April 4, 2009

My 1st Blog

So, I'm pretty new at this whole blogging thing, but I'm going to give it a try! Something that has been on my mind for the past month or so is Mexico. I get at least a call a day asking me if it's safe to travel there. Like anywhere in the world, there are bad parts and good parts. The tourist areas are generally safe. Obviously you would want to use caution, like anywhere else, but if you look at the numbers, you're safer being in the tourist areas of Mexico than some popular US cities. Crazy, but true!

I feel like going postal sometimes when I hear the things some people say. Look, Mexico is a beautiful country and has some really great resorts, fun and interesting things to do, and the people are generally very friendly. Yes, bad things happen there - bad things happen EVERYWHERE! Even my hometown of Norman, OK has it's share of drugs, crime, and murder. Does that mean I want to hole up in my house and never leave? NO! I use my brain and normal safetly precautions!

If you don't want to go to Mexico because you've been tons of times, I get that, but don't cross it off the list because you think there's a good chance you'll get kidnapped, shot at, or murdered. You have an almost 100% chance of coming home safe and sound - and probably sunburned! I found a great blog site that says it all- do the math!
http://www.thetruthaboutmexico.com/2009/03/spring-break-in-mexico-do-the-math-kids/

Another blog about Mexico that I think is GREAT is these 2 Canadian guys who when to all the tourist areas looking for trouble - what they found will surprise you - nothing but fun in the sun!
http://www.whatisreallyhappeninginmexico.com/

Anyway, my point is, stop listening to the media who only wants to blow things way out of proportion - think for yourself, and use common sense! The current travel advisory is basically about the border towns and isn't new, it's an update to one issued about a year ago. Honestly, I would never reccomend going to a border town, unless it was the border of Canada!

I hope this has helped give you some prespective on the whole thing, and maybe you'll think twice before you give someone going there a hard time or before crossing it off your possible vacation list.

No comments:

Post a Comment